Monday, November 2, 2009

The desert living -1

There is no point in the argument that trees are necessary for oxygen. The place where I live now has no trees. Forget about threes, not even big plants grow here. The plants that id dotted in the vast expanse of the desert grows hardly one foot. Still all of us breathe. Perhaps, we get much less polluted oxygen here. Then what is the basis for the discovery that green cover is essential to sustain life?
Flies are disturbing a lot while typing this. This a phenomenon in the desert. Flies follow us whereever we go and sit anywhere they please. Their main target is our face, especially the lips. Our hands must be kept always engaged to shoo away the flies. Surprisingly, fly’s nocturnal counterpart, mosquitoes are not seen here. Perhaps, deserts are not conducive for their existence. Look, humans runt into the places even the mosquitoes don’t want to tread! Everyone’s table has a special device to shoo away or even kill the flies.Playing with the flies with this device is a favourite past time for a few in the office always.
Yesterday for the first time I took camel’s milk. Camels, the ship of the desert is a common sight here. We can see them grazing in the desert. There will be one or two persons who goad these animals. Camels eat and eat the little bushes all through the day. These men watch them eating. While their masters eat cooked and delicious food made at home, camels eat the ‘useless’ bushes for their masters. Looking at the animals, the masters calculate their income.
When we spotted a camel group, we approached the caretaker. We conveyed our desire to drink camel milk. He immediately obliged. Not only that, he even allowed us to have a photo op while mounted on the camel back. The man refused to take money in return to all our pleasure. He said, if you are offering money, he wanted to take back the milk. Such a large hearted man, he was, I was really surprised. If I were in his position, I would definitely have taken money. Camel milk is just like cow’s milk, but less in sweet. It is a new experience, so it was interesting. But the disparaging part of all the fun with the camel was that, the camel’s protest. It had to sit and get up for three times. Each time when it was repeating this action, it made a lot of noise in disgust. That noise is still reverberating in my ears. I wanted to share those photos with you all, but the camel’s protest prevents me from doing this. I should never have done that. I shall never again climb on an animal. It is my resolution. In the tourist places we can see animals that is meant for ‘taking tourists for a ride’. In China I climbed on a shorter version of the camel and took photos. Again in China, I got a chance to pose along with a chained live tiger. In Ooty and Koaikanal, I had horse rides. In Jaipur, there are elephants that do this honour. I sincerely feel sorry for all these acts of insensitivity towards the speechless creatures . These animals are entertaining us out of their helplessness. We shall never encourage their use for somebody’s benefit.
Last but not the least, I like to dispute the Lamarck’s Theory of Evolution. According to the theorem, camels developed the long neck to reach out the branches of the trees. But, here I can not find even a single tree anywhere in the vicinity. Whenever I see camels, they are seen dipped their necks deep down to reach out the one foot tall bushes. How difficult it is! If Theory of Evolution must be true, Camels should live in places like India and rabbits in the desert…..

2 comments:

  1. Hi Natesan,
    Good to read through your experiences and thoughts. I think you're confused on the evolution theory with Giraff and Camel.
    Camel has special ability to store gallons of water inside its tummy to survive through desert drought.I put your last gulf dream write up in the magazine we doing over here(going to be published in Aug30th).I'll send you a copy, let me know your postal address.Anyone else interested in copy, please let me know.
    Shah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nattu,

    Strange, you felt like this in a desert! As far as I know life is a struggle there. You are breathing b'cos of the rain-forests somewhere else. The trip to Andamans will show you what it is like in a place full of greeneries.

    A couple of weeks ago I'd done an essay for my kid on climate change. I sourced materials from the net, and believe me it was an eye-opener for me! Until then I knew so little about global warming, pollution and its effects. You are thoroghly mistakened about the deserts. It is the graveyard of a prosperous past.

    The fly swapper- one which is used by Abhishek Bachchan in an ad? A long flexible plastic "chattukam" ? Well, now I see why uncle TATA sends you people to god-forsaken places......hmmmmm. Talents at work.

    Since man started to walk upright on his feet, he tamed the dumb animals for his selfish needs. And the poor creatures obliged, always. Perhaps they have the common sense to recognise the satans.

    Good, we can see a healthier Nattu in the photos now. Camel milk will tell the difference!

    I wonder how many people we come across in our entire life span. You are meeting so many of them at so many places. Do you know that there isn't an iota of a chance to meet him next time .....most probably. Will you see that guy again who helped you ride the camel in china? Or the urchin who gave you a smile when you offered him something in India? I personally feel you and me owe them something, that's why they cross your way. Give them what you can however small it may be, and walk away. Don't look back and don't expect anything in return. Bible asks you not to let your left hand know what the right does! Bhagwad Geetha preaches "...ma faleshu kadachana". Neki kar dariya me dal......

    All creatures are adapted to their habitats except for, we the humans. We play havoc with the nature. And boast of it. Aren't we? Let's make it a safer place for our children 'cos we inherited this earth from our fore-fathers and we owe it to our future generations. The land, the water, the sky, the air ...and the fire.

    Bye and take care of them...

    Ratish
    Andamans.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts