Monday, November 2, 2009

Smirnoff - the Osasis in the Desert

Smirnoff is a colourless odorless liquid. Well, as for the properties and the effect that it creates on our brain and body, let us ask someone, for example, like our friend Sudhish. Tonight, we four guys, an Iranian, two Philippinos and me got together in one of the cells here. There I got the first darshan of the famous liquid called Smirnoff. It took 41 years and a visit to a desert to make this discovery. I did not drink it. Guys asked me if I drink. I nodded in the negative. Don’t you believe that I lied? Perhaps, you are right to a certain extent. But, that must a wise decision, given the situations here. Several of the guys are fond of liquor. In construction sites, guys are easily taken to liquor, cigarette and pan chewing. I do not understand what is the reason behind this, but I guess, it is the grueling nature of work that prompts the people to take solace in ‘morale boosters’.
We spoke of our culture, food habits and of curse, about people of some other countries too. From IQ of the Japanese to the disrespect the men show to women on the streets of Tunisia, the discussion lasted for a few hours.
The Iranian friend had been to Japan for 8 months and in his opinion, Japanese have very less IQ. Of course, there are smart people too. That is the reason they prosper. But, according to him, most of the work force has the IQ of “a chicken” – I quote his word. But, they are committed to their work and are experts in their field of work. Perhaps, in his opinion, this is the reason for their prosperity. They try to be self reliant, I mean they avoid depending on US! Another remarkable point he made was that Japan’s streets are very clean, arguably the cleanest in the world.
In the view of the Iranian friend, Iranians are most outward looking and not averse to changes. They are like any other human beings on the earth. Then what makes them different? The leadership. The “stupid” president, who helps people being radicalized. No tourists like to visit Iran because, every woman tourist has to wear veil there.
In Tunisia, people behave as if they never saw girls before. Men stare at girls; make caustic comments and whistle whenever the fairer sex passes by them. This is the most obnoxious scene one of the Philippinoes came across in Tunisa. They claim to have French influence in Tunisia, but their behaviour has nothing to do with a cultured society. I just kept quiet, because this is no strange thing in our society too!
The Iranian described how he ate the raw Octopus meat in Japan without knowing what he was eating. Japanese eat meat and fish raw.
They still value their prestige. Loss of character or making a mistake is considered to be a sin in Japanese society. They still commit suicide when their credibility or the self respect is at stake, perhaps not committing the traditional way of Harakiri. The Philippino told about the Philippino restaurants in UAE. While it takes more than 50 DHS to have a good food in a Philippino restaurant, he claims that with hardly 10 to 15DHS we can have decent food in an Indian restaurant. I do not buy this information, because, in the Indian restaurant of the hotel in which I stayed during my Dubai visit in 2005, a vegetarian lunch cost was 30DHS. Now it must be in the range of 50DHS.
At the end of the Friday eve get together, I found myself in the company of ‘outsiders’ while there are around fifteen Indians in the camp. Anyway, let me excuse myself for not being in the company of the sons of the soil. Human blood is same in everyone’s veins. Boundaries and colour of skin do not make any divisions but the mentality and the approach do.
Friday has just arrived. For the benefit of my beloved people like you, I sat awake till this time. Let me go to bed. Though it is a holiday tomorrow, we work at site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts